Laundry services is another good and profitable venture for any serious hard working entrepreneur. Any smart person can make money from the business and its very easy to start. The businesses that make millionaires their millions in most cases are not necessarily big business that take millions of dollars to start. Sometimes, it may just be ordinary services like the laundry services we are talking about here.
Haven’t you heard about a Lagos based Business Man who is making millions constantly from ‘SHIT’ business? So, if someone is making millions from human waste, imagine how much you could be making from this if you do it well.
To wash and Iron a shirt, a dry cleaner will charge nothing less than N500. If you wash 20 shirts in a day, that will make you N500x20 = N10,000. The amount of money you make depends on you and how many regular customers you have.
If you are serious about starting a business right now, laundry services may just be one of the business you should give serious consideration. Besides, dry cleaning business is a very clean business that is respectable and dignifying and still brings good money. This is what make the business a must for smart people.
There are many types of laundry services, but for the purpose of this post and what I intends to explain, I am going to focus on home base dry cleaning and laundry services. The type you can start small and eventually expand to something big. You already know what Dry Cleaning is so lets go straight to what you would need to get started.
What You Need To Start A Small Laundry Services
1. Wide Ironing Table: It is very important for your table to be wide enough, at least to give enough pressing space and convenience as you will be handling large quantity of ironing. Do not use small table that will make your work inconvenient and eventually cause you some damages. Get a table that is smooth and wide enough, something like 4×6 feet.
Pressing/Ironing bench is the best choice for pressing cloths and it is the most convenient, more convenient than regular tables. You can get it very cheap in the market or from electronics shops.
2. Good Pressing Iron: Invest in quality pressing Iron for the sake of efficiency, and don’t forget you are handling people’s fabrics. Inefficient Iron could cause more trouble than gain by raking havoc on your customers cloths. Go for high quality, brand new Iron from known makers like Philips.
3. Garment Conveyor: You will need a garment conveyor for hanging finished clothes. Just get a nice locally made by furniture makers, but let it be wide enough to avoid stuffing cloths. The conveyor I am talking about is just a hanging stand, not the ones that convey cloths used by bigger dry cleaners. A local furniture maker will help you design your locally made one if you do not have money to buy standard conveyor.
4. BIG Washing Basins: You will need many of this to soak different colors and different types of materials separately. Be careful how you handle people’s fabrics so that you don’t go about paying for damages rather than making profits. Soak Jeans separately from other materials, soak whites cloths separate, and other colors too. Do not mix colors!
5. Industrial Laundry Detergent: Cleaning is technology, you need to master it with all sense of seriousness. Good cleaning detergent will go a long way to assist you in making thorough cleaning, and that in turn will bring more customers. Do not go for just any washing soap, go for high quality detergent that comes in quantity – you will be needing much quantity of it.
6. Space For Ironing: Spacious ironing environment will not only make your job faster and more comfortable, it will give you sense of balance and relaxed feelings. Devote big enough part of your home for it.
7. Other Items Like: Clothespins, Lines, and Drying space should be put in place as well. With all these ready, you’re good to go.
Start your marketing with words of mouth around your neighborhood, there are plenty people waiting to patronize you. Treat them well and you will have permanent customers who will ensure your profit daily.
As you go about your business, make sure you don’t over charge you customers. Moderate pricing ensures continuous patronage and sustainable venture. The real money comes from rendering good laundry services at affordable prices, that will make the customers come back again and again.