High blood pressure also known as hypertension is a medical condition that occurs when the force generated by blood flow against the walls of the arteries is too high.
It is diagnosed when the pressure is above 140/90 and it is termed severe if it is above 180/120. It is estimated that there are 1.5 million new cases of hypertension in Nigeria every year; this condition is a risk factor for complications and chronic diseases in the body like heart attack and stroke, it can even lead to death.
15 Most Effective Herbal Cures for High Blood Pressure
There are many effective natural solutions for hypertension and we will be looking at the best 15 natural remedies for high blood pressure.
Studies have found that garlic extract is effective in reducing both the systolic and diastolic blood pressure; the active ingredient in garlic is Allicin and this compound makes blood vessels healthy, it improves the elasticity of the arteries and relaxes the cells of the blood vessels. It increases the production of hydrogen sulfide and nitric oxide; these compounds help to dilate blood vessels and allow free and easy movement of blood. If you are on blood pressure medications; it is not advisable to take garlic because they will both interact and cause complications in the body.
- You can chew 3 fresh cloves of garlic daily; to prevent the strong scent on your body, cut the cloves into tiny pieces and expose it to air for 3 minutes, then you swallow it with a cup of water.
- You can also add it generously to your meals since garlic is a common kitchen spice.
In Nigeria, this is known as zobo leaves; though a common drink but its medicinal value cannot be denied. It is effective in reducing blood pressure and relives the symptoms of hypertension. You can take 2 cups of zobo daily to help bring down your blood pressure. It is easy to make your own zobo at home.
- Get fresh or dried hibiscus leaves
- Boil a little quantity of the leaves in three cups of water
- Note that you can pound one fresh or dried ginger root and boil it along with the zobo leaves; this will make it more effective and improve the taste.
- After that; leave it to cool then strain it. You can add diced fruits of your choice and other fruit juices to sweeten it. Avoid using refined sugar since you are taking it daily.
Beets are effective in bring down high blood pressure; they are rich in organic nitrates which increases the levels of nitric oxide in the body and this compound helps in dilating blood vessels thus preventing hypertension.
- You can juice them and take at least a cup of beetroot juice daily.
A study confirmed that taking green tea daily for 24 weeks brought down high blood pressure; this is due to its rich content of antioxidants and powerful healing phytochemicals. You can get green tea at any pharmacy or health store.
- Put a tea bag in a cup of boiled water and leave it to steep for at least 5 minutes.
- Then take it when cooled.
This is another powerful remedy for hypertension; ginger root has been used for centuries to treat hypertension, it improves the circulation of blood, it relaxes the blood vessels and the muscles surrounding them.
- It is a common kitchen spice in Nigeria so it can be added generously to your meals.
- You can make ginger and lemon tea and take it daily. You do this by boiling fresh ginger root in water; but it must be grated first. Then you strain the water and leave it to cool then you add your lemon juice and drink it.
- You can also chew fresh ginger root.
Basil leaves are rich in Eugenol which is a compound that prevents the blood vessels from becoming tight or blocked; it blocks some substances that are known to tighten or narrow the blood vessels. Taking basil leaves daily can even prevent the blood pressure from rising in the first place.
- Basil leaves can be added to your foods
- You can also make tea with it by boiling the leaves in water and drinking the water.
A study revealed that taking 1.5 grams of cardamom powder twice daily for 12 weeks can cause a significant reduction in high blood pressure.
- It is generally used a as spice, so it can be added to anything you eat or drink.
- You can also make cardamom tea by adding a teaspoon of the powder to a cup of boiled water and leave it to steep for 5 minutes. Strain it and take it when cool.
Also known as “alefo” in Nigeria; these green vegetables is rich in folate and magnesium. These compounds prevent high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. They relax the blood vessels and allow for easy flow of blood.
- You can make soup with the leaves but make sure it is slightly cooked so that all the vital nutrients won’t be lost.
- The fresh leaves can also be used to make smoothies. You can blend the leaves with any sweet fruit of your choice and drink it.
These succulent berries are loaded with lycopene, vitamins A, C and E, calcium, potassium and other powerful phytochemicals. These compounds can reduce the levels of cholesterol in the blood which can narrow or tighten the blood vessels. Regular intake of tomatoes can prevent hypertension. Remember to heat your tomatoes before taking it because the active compound lycopene is activated by heat.
- You can add tomatoes to most of your meals.
- Again, you can make tomato sauce daily
- You can also blend boiled tomatoes and take in the juice.
This is also known as black cumin seeds; though generally used as a spice, they are still medicinal and are effective in bringing down high blood pressure. It also reduce the levels of cholesterol in the body which can lead to hypertension.
- Add it generously to your meals
- You can take the capsule form; 100 to 200 mg twice a day will help till you see improvement.
This herb is rich in powerful flavonoids that help in bring down high blood pressure; it also prevents cardiovascular disease and protects the blood vessels. It also boosts healthy circulation of blood.
- You can take 500mg of hawthorn extract daily.
- You can take the tea using powdered hawthorn berry.
These seeds have been used for centuries in China to bring down high blood pressure; it unblocks blood vessels and even reduces the levels of cholesterol.
- You can eat at least 4 celery stalks every day.
- You can also take 1000mg of the seed extract twice daily.
This herb is rich in many healing phytochemicals that can help in reducing high blood pressure; it is also rich in chromium and potassium, these two compounds help in regulating blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Eat lots of fresh broccoli daily.
These seeds are rich in healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids which help to reduce blood pressure. A study revealed that taking 30 to 50 grams of flaxseeds daily for more than 12 weeks can cause a significant drop in blood pressure.
These seeds also protect against hardening and narrowing of the blood vessels; it also reduces the levels of cholesterol in the bloodstream and it is rich in powerful antioxidants.
- You can add flaxseeds to your meals generously.
This herb commonly used as spice is effective in bring down both prolonged and sudden hypertension.
- You can add it to your meals and drinks generously.
- You can also make tea with it by adding a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of boiled water; leave it to steep, then you strain and drink it when it is cool
It is our wish that you remain in your optimum health through out the year. Always remember to keep improving in your lifestyle. Most of our health issues are direct result of our lifestyle. Be sure to live a wholesome life.