Joining the police force is shouldering great responsibilities because human life is involved. In Nigeria where the menace is twice fold, the enormous responsibility is twice fold. It is a job that deserves your honour and bravery, it is special in the sense that you are serving your country in one of the most morally outstanding careers because the sacrifice you are making is a matter of life and death.
Part of the job is rescuing of humans trapped in dangerous situations, saving the property of fellow citizens, being on guard duty like around a person’s house under security threat or at checkpoints. And bringing criminals to justice. If you wish to join this glorious force and make it your day job in Nigeria, there are two ways. You may apply through the recruitment program or join the police academy.
Joining the Force through Mass Recruitment
Every year, the Police Service Commission calls for application into the Nigerian police force. Eligible candidates are expected to apply via the official website of the police force www.npf.gov.ng. And it should be after a call for applications by the Nigerian police through public media. The minimum educational qualification is an O’ level, from there leading up to HND and B. Sc. Posts that are available and their corresponding qualification requirement when you apply via this method include:-
|Rank||Qualification Needed||Monthly Salary (Naira)|
|Police Constable||O’ level certificate with at least five credit including maths and English.||43,293|
Cadet Inspector of Police
|A level, OND, NCE, and O’ level certificate with five credits including maths and English.||73,231|
Cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police
|HND or Bachelor degree, NYSC certificate.||127,604|
Once you have fulfilled all the necessary requirements and filled the form online, after submitting you will be led to a confirmation page. The details of your application will be sent to your email.
Joining the Force through The Police Academy
This is a more elaborate undertaking. You must go through a 5 years course in the academy located in Wudil Kano state and graduate before being enlisted as a member of the police force. To apply, you have to sit for JAMB UTME exam, then visit the Police Academy website to generate a Remita Retrieval Reference which will be used to pay the sum of N3,000 to any commercial bank in Nigeria. After that you will then submit your application online whereby you will be prompted to print an acknowledgement form and exam card if submission was successful.
The next step includes taking a selection examination in particular venues. You choose the one nearest to you which could be found in the police academy website. The eligible candidates are to bring along with them their exam cards, acknowledgement form, JAMB result slip and two passports. Candidates that passed the exam will be invited for an interview. Afterwards, the successful candidates’ names will be published in national newspapers and on the website.
Admission requirements as stated by the Police Academy in their website:
- Candidates seeking admission into the Academy must be Nigerian citizens and must be between 17 and 22 years of age, and must have a height of not less than 1.67 Meters (5 Feet 6 Inches) if male, and 1.62 Meters (5 Feet 4 Inches) if female. In addition, male candidates must have an expanded chest size of not less than 86 cm (34 Inches). All candidates must be free from any physical deformity or mental disability.
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum of SIX (6) credits at the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), the National Examinations Council (NECO) or the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB) at not more than 2 sittings and including a credit pass in English Language and Mathematics as well as subjects relevant to the candidate’s chosen course of study in the Academy.
- Candidates must also obtain satisfactory scores in both the written examination and the interview and must pass physical and psychological tests of fitness.
- SSCE STATEMENT OF RESULTS OR CERTIFICATES RELATING TO EXAMINATIONS TAKEN BEFORE 2013 WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
They have four faculties which you can choose from, faculty of Science, faculty of Law, faculty Social and Management Science, and finally faculty of Humanities. Graduates from the school graduate with a Bachelor’s degree and obtain the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) which the salary is worth N127,604 monthly.
General Requirements To Join the Police Force
- Applicant must not be less than 1.67m tall for men and 1.63m for women.
- Must have an expanded chest measurement of 86.34cm for men.
- The applicant must not be an ex-convict.
- Must be a Nigerian citizen.
- He/she must be medically, mentally and physically fit.
- Must have an ID, either the national ID, voter’s card or other valid forms of identification.
- Must provide two verifiable references from either a traditional ruler or local government chairman or from other eligible persons as recommended by the police.
This is practically everything you need to do when joining the Nigerian Police Force, make sure you watch out for public announcements for recruitment exercises or the academy’s admission dates. Also abiding by the rules is utmost in this line of work, so buckle up and be safe.