Omoyele Sowore is the founder of Shara reporter, a controversial online news media that operates in New York City, USA. His news outfit is protected by the First Amendment Rights of the United States of America. In Nigeria political space, Sowore is always at the heels of politicians considered to be corrupt and that has not been easy for him. Today, we want to look at Omoyele Sowore net worth and his other business interests.
- Nationality: Nigeria
- Date of Birth: February 17, 1970
- Occupation: Entrepreneur, Journalist
- Net Worth: $10Million
Omoyele Sowore was born in Niger Delta area but a decent of “Kiribo” in Ese Odo Local Government area of Ondo State. The Sahara Reporter founder is from a polygamous family and he is the first child to 20 brothers and sisters.
During his early stage in life, Sowore had to go fishing, fetching water, wood, and later started helping women carry their loads to the market place on bike owned by his father. All these was done to help the entire family before going to school. With all of these hard labors, he was bound to fail in his primary school days. He however proceeded to Ofedepe Comprehensive High School Okitipupa, Ondo State. There he was able to pass his the WAEC exams very well and the rest is now history.
Omoyele Sowore attended the university of Lagos in 1989 where he studied Geography and Regional Planning and graduated in 1994. Due to his involvement in politics and student activism at that time, he was twice expelled from the University. Sowore was the Students Union President (SUG) from 1992-1994).
In 2003, he graduated from Columbia University in New York with a masters degree in Public Administration.
Omoleye Sowore is married but due to the nature of his profession he decided to keep his family away from the public space.
Omoyele Sowore Business Interests
Omoyele Sowore is the founder of Sahara Reporters an online media company based in New York. A company that is said to be Wikileaks of Africa, because of its fearless way of reporting. He encourages citizen journalism among Nigerians to expose corrupt officials in government. It became popular after being the first Media company or news source to identify and publish the photo of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, a suspected terrorist accused of attempting to blow-up Northwest Airlines Flight 253 on Christmas Day by detonating a plastic bomb that exploded in his underwear.
Sahara Repoters is being funded by Ford Foundation and Omidyar Foundation which donated $175,000 and $450,000 respectively. His news website has continued to enjoy readership from Nigerians and diaspora.
With well over 3million page view per month Sahara Reporters has Google Adsense running on its platform and Taboola ads. They also sell ad-space for direct advertisers.
- During his time in Unilag as the SUG President, there were claim he was a cultist which attracted enemies from rival cult members. They eventually caught up with him during an attack where he was supposedly injected with chemical called “Lead”. He then flew to America for proper medical treatment in 1999 and survived.
- During 2014 election, Sowore was accused of collecting bribe from President Buhari to ridicule the former President Goodluck Jonathan.
- His media company Sahara Reporter has been accused of extorting from Government officials for his personal greed.
- Sowore has had beef with almost all politicians in Nigeria and some of them has resulted to his life being threatened or in other case facing legal charges.
His long list of political enemies includes, Senator Dino Melaye, Bukola Saraki, and Ted Ikuru just to mention a few.
Omoleye Sowore has declared his intentions to run for the position of the Nigerian president in 2019 general elections.